Whether the health insurance pays for orthodontic treatment depends on the so-called orthodontic indication groups, or KIG for short. These include five grades, with grade one meaning very slight tooth misalignments such as a slight lack of space or a slight overbite. At level five, on the other hand, there are severe deformities such as anomalies or even a cleft palate.
Children receive a subsidy from the health insurance, usually from level three, for treatment. This is 80 percent. The remaining 20 percent remain as own contribution. If the dental treatment is successfully completed, for example, the braces worn regularly and long enough, the health insurance reimburses this amount. In the case of adults, however, the statutory health insurance pays only in exceptionally exceptional cases or after an accident. In lighter cases, they sometimes have to pay several hundred or thousands of euros for their treatment at the orthodontist or dentist. To protect yourself, a dental insurance for orthodontics helps. Because a good tariff comes in at all five KIG.
Is a dental insurance for orthodontics worthwhile?
A dental insurance with orthodontic services is available for both children and adults. In the case of small children, for example, this costs part of the costs if the dental treatment is more expensive or more expensive than the standard care provided by the health insurance company. Since many adults with lighter complaints do not have any benefits from the health insurance, they have to finance even the cheapest treatment completely out of pocket. Therefore, they are happy to see that the dental insurance will pay you part of the treatment costs.
Dental supplemental insurance for orthodontics: That’s what patients should be aware of
Before concluding an orthodontic dental insurance, interested parties should take a close look at the respective tariff conditions. Among other things, it depends on the specified waiting times, ie the period between the conclusion of the contract and the beginning of the benefit entitlement. According to the Berlin Consumer Center, waiting periods of about eight months are common for many insurers. It is also important that the supplementary dental insurance only pays for orthodontics if there are no previous illnesses at the beginning of the insurance relationship .
Incidentally, the dentist often notes signs of malpractice in children in the patient’s file, without informing the parents about it, since initially no treatment is required or possible. Therefore, it is advisable to ask the attending physician before concluding an additional dental insurance whether orthodontic problems have already been recorded in the file.
Do not just pay attention to orthodontic services
For many adults, in addition to the benefits of dental orthodontic insurance plays an important role that the insurer participates in the cost of dentures. For if a tooth is lost or breaks off a piece of the tooth, this is usually associated with a lengthy and often expensive treatment. If the patient chooses a costly method such as an implant, several thousand euros in treatment costs quickly come together. With a dental insurance, patients can reduce their due co-payment to a minimum , so they do not have to worry before the horrendous dental bill.
When concluding an additional dental insurance, the rule generally applies: the younger the insured, the cheaper the tariff. Because the health risk of many insurers at a young age usually low. The final cost of private insurance depends on the agreed benefits . Whom it suffices that the additional dental insurance takes over the due own contribution for a brace, which can secure much cheaper than a patient who puts on extras such as a ceramic crown or an expensive implant.